The rainforest is the most abundant and most diverse area in the world. It is the focus area of biodiversity and has a complex and fragile ecological network. In addition to providing a variety of biological habitats, there are many other important functions, such as providing clean water and air, and regulating the climate. Excessive carbon dioxide produced by human activities also depends on the absorption and fixation of forests; the vast area and rapid growth rate of tropical rain forests, the absorption of carbon dioxide, accounts for a large proportion of the global forest. If the tropical rain forest disappears, global warming will become more serious, global climate change will be more unpredictable, and humans will face even more severe challenges in the global environment.
Due to the change in the way human activities are caused by the development of civilization, human needs for land and natural resources have increased, causing the rapid decline of tropical rain forests. It is estimated that by 2020, the world’s rainforest area will be reduced to one tenth. And a large part of this tenth is a broken, fragmented rainforest. The main cause of the disappearance of the rainforest was the change in forests into pastures or agricultural land. The destruction and disappearance of the rainforest has a great relationship with the over-use of the limited resources of the Earth in developed countries.
In view of the inseparable relationship between the disappearance of tropical rain forests and changes in the global environment, many developed countries in the world, such as the United States, Japan and the European Union, spare no effort to protect the rainforest. Regardless of research or conservation, a lot of money is invested every year. In addition to government support, civil society organizations in many of these countries have done a lot to protect the rainforest.
Although Taiwan is in a subtropical region, due to its special climate and geographical conditions, coupled with topographical changes, the biological distribution ranges from cold to tropical, giving birth to extremely high biodiversity. Although Taiwan’s biological phase is special and its diversity is high, the research on indigenous biodiversity has not received due attention under the policy leadership of economic development and development. In recent years, the crisis of environmental degradation and species extinction in Taiwan has gradually been valued and reflected by the Chinese. How to promote the research and conservation of biodiversity in Taiwan is also listed as the main policy of government administration.
In addition to promoting Taiwan’s emphasis on tropical rainforests and strengthening research and conservation of tropical rainforests, we also understand that starting from the side can be the first step to success. At present, many environmental, ecological and conservation issues are no longer limited to a single climatic zone, and comparative studies of large-scale, trans-latitude and trans-climate zones have gradually received attention. This is also reflected in the research publications, research sites and cooperation of the Center in recent years. On the object. Therefore, promoting the research and conservation of biodiversity in Taiwan and the promotion and implementation of environmental education are another important purpose of the Center. It is hoped that this will further explore environmental issues, civil environmental education, environmental impact assessment and other developments, and arouse the general public. Cherish and value the people of Taiwan and the environment around them.
The Center will establish cooperative relationships with scholars and research institutes at home and abroad to jointly promote ecological and environmental research and conservation. We hope that through our efforts, we will do our best to protect Taiwan and the international environment. On the other hand, the Center can also take this opportunity to cultivate the rapport of the research team and train and train talents engaged in biodiversity research.
The Center will focus on three major development directions in the future, including featured research, international exchange and social responsibility, explained as follows:
- Featured research: Expand research energy, focus on three major research topics, including ecology, biodiversity assessment and application, and environmental management.
- International exchange: Enhance the degree of internationalization, deepen the substantive exchanges and international cooperation about ecological issues between the Center and sister schools (Southeast Asian and East Asian), and jointly publish papers to enhance university rankings.
- Social responsibility: Strengthening characteristic learning, cultivating students in the field of ecological environment, and striving to develop the scale and operation of the social enterprise of “Tunghai Ecological Farm” to enhance the reputation and social influence of Tunghai University.
- Focuse on ecology and environment, focuse on the development of teaching and research characteristics in faculties.
- Enhance the development focus and featured research of school units.
- Developing international teaching, research and industry-university cooperation.
- Strengthening hardware and software equipment.
- Promote integrated or cross-domain research projects.
- Promote strategic alliances and strengthen government advisory services.
- Subsidized teachers with excellent performance.
- Recruit foreign top scholars or researchers.
- Enrich the research energy and develop into the first featured research center of Tunghai university within five years.
- Promote on campus, inter-school and international field courses, and develop environmental impact assessment, which will become an important unit of training and certification EIA field investigators.
The center is a school-level research unit with a director who is responsible for all administrative matters, for gaining research projects and funding, and for the implementation of the annual important projects and training course.
In addition, depending on the business needs, the center can employ several full-time researchers ,associate researchers and assistant researchers with relevant expertise. The center can employ a staff member to assist the director in handling the related business of the center.